Who doesn’t have questions at this time of the year?
This week we were able to speak with Melanie Prevost from Plante Moran. She is a senior manager in Plante Moran’s Cincinnati office. She focuses on high net worth individuals and closely held businesses and serves clients in the wealth management industry.
Plante Moran is among the nation’s largest accounting, tax and consulting firms and provides a full line of services to organizations in the following industries: manufacturing and distribution, financial institutions, service, health care, private equity, public sector and real estate and construction. Plante Moran has a staff of more than 2,000 professionals in 23 offices throughout Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois with international offices in Shanghai, China; Monterrey, Mexico; and Mumbai, India. Plante Moran has been recognized by a number of organizations, including FORTUNE magazine, as one of the country’s best places to work. For more information, visit plantemoran.com.
Here are just SOME of the questions that we covered in this fast-paced 26 minute interview!
- We’re in the middle of tax season. How should I make the decision about whether to use a tax preparer or I should try to do it myself? What are the advantages of using a tax preparer vs. trying to understand the tax law myself?
- Does working with a tax preparer give me a better advantage over using a software program, such as HR Block or Turbo Tax?
- What are some of the essential questions I should ask before hiring someone to prepare my taxes?
- What are the critical pieces of information that I should gather before bringing my taxes to my preparer? Do all tax preparation professionals provide you with a document that asks pertinent questions and prompts you to gather important information?
- How long should I keep my back history of taxes before I can safely get rid of them? And when I do destroy them could you also cover a little here about shredding or burning to cover identity theft – let’s not pitch them in the garbage 🙂
- What system would you recommend in order to keep my paperwork organized throughout the year so next year’s tax information can be gathered quickly and easily?